The main reasons for a dog to pull on the lead are as follow:
- Excitement, hurry to get moving
- Your dog might enjoy controlling the situation, he/she might even take the lead and control the speed you walk!
- Seeing another dog, across the road, in the distance, on a bench, anywhere! That’s exciting!
- Fear for example of being outside, you can be sure he/she will pull on the lead on the way back home to feel safe
- A bicycle, squateboard, any trigger usually moving
- The type of lead you use might not suit your dog, it is important for him/her to feel there is no lead when walking with you for example, combining leads can be a way forward both for you and for your dog
Work towards a relaxing walk where the lead is not a necessity but is here for safety.