– Content and Marketing Coordinator, Press Office at EmmanuelleChaix
A great many different terms and descriptive names are used for dogs who are not pedigrees, or example, who have two parents who are not the same breed. Crossbreed, Mutt, mongrel, mixed breed, hybrid breed, designer dog… The list is almost endless!
Just about the only uniting factor for all non-pedigree dogs, is that they will all be individual, and you will not be able to refer to a breed standard or guideline to tell you what you might be able to expect from your dog, either physically, or in terms of health, or with regards to his/her temperament.
Most of the world’s dogs are crossbreed dogs, and there are many reasons for this. There are also some potential drawbacks to owning an unknown mix too, or one where you cannot be sure of the exact origins of the dog and their ancestors.
- you may not be able to know your dog’s appearance
- you may not be able to be the judge of your dog’s behavioural traits
- hybrid vigour may be of benefit
- crossbreed dogs may live longer than pedigrees
Let us know what you think! EmmanuelleChaix believe each dog has her/his own personality and each dog requires exercise both mentality and physically!